Check me out live...
with Lee Aaron:
- October 21, 2016 - Rockingham Festival in Nottingham, UK
- April 15 - Deerfoot Casino in Calgary, AB
- May 19 - Mary Winspear Centre in Sidney, BC
- June 2 - Transcona Hi Neighbour Festival in Winnipeg, MB
- July 1 - Tail Creek Mudfest in Alix, AB
- July 8 - Montréal Jazz Festival
- July 10 - Yard Club in Köln, Germany
- July 11 - Musiktheater Rex in Bensheim, Germany
- July 12 - Colos-Saal in Aschaffenburg, Germany
- July 13 - Hirsch in Nürnberg, Germany
- July 14 - Bang Your Head!!! Festival in Balingen, Germany
- July 16 - The Underworld Camden in London, UK
- July 17 - The Robin 2 in Bilston, Wolverhampton, UK
- July 21 - Summer Stomp & Burnout in Sicamous, BC
- August 6 - Grizfest in Tumbler Ridge, BC
- August 19 - Edmonton Rock Music Festival
- October 21 - Club Regent Event Centre in Winnipeg, MB (splitting the bill with Lita Ford)
- October 26 - The Rose Theatre in Brampton, ON
- October 27 - The Brass Monkey in Ottawa, ON
- October 28 - Seneca Queen Theatre in Niagara Falls, ON
- December 31 - Century Casino in Edmonton, AB
- March 23, 2018 - Calgary, AB
with Alexander Browne and his Boulevardiers:
- April 6 - Club 240 in Surrey, BC
- May 25 - Club 240 in Surrey, BC
- October 5 - Club 240 in Surrey, BC
- November 17 - Blue Frog Studios in White Rock, BC
with Heart Of Stone:
- August 26 - First Nations, Ontario
I am a drummer by trade, and a writer by invitation.
I've been playing music all of my life; writing has come about more recently.
A few words of explanation...
This is a decidedly incomplete list of acts I've worked with. It wasn't until 1990 that I began keeping details on individual gigs, so before that, I'm relying on memory. There are more than a few names missing, so if we worked together, and you're not on the list, drop me a line and help me fill in the blanks.
My tastes are extremely varied; I love big band-era swing, folk, rock, punk, country, and pretty much everything in between, and I want to play it all. That's one reason I enjoy working freelance, and goes a long way to explaining the lengthy list of acts included here.
My goal is to include individual write-ups along with audio, photos and in some cases video samples where possible. It's a fairly daunting – and ongoing – task. Hopefully every month will bring more content.
This site includes a fairly extensive sampling of my writing taken from the last decade or so. Everything here has been previously published, but in every case, I am the owner of the work. If you like something and wish to share it, that's fine, but please remember to give me proper writing credit.
I pretty much fell into this part of my career. In the early nineties, I called a magazine to complain about its coverage of the arts, and by the end of our conversation, the editor had hired me as a writer. I'd already written for a few publications (Goldmine, The Georgia Straight, etc.) and had lectured at a few colleges and schools, but the monthly deadlines got me writing on a regular basis.
The majority of my writing deals with music-related themes, but I try to look beyond the obvious. Rather than document instruments and release dates, I like to explore the individual's motivations, world views and beliefs.
In addition to my regular ongoing projects, I'm currently writing a book with Mark Volman about his adventures in the music business, from the Turtles to Frank Zappa and Flo & Eddie and beyond. That came about after I had written a short feature on him a couple of years ago.
With my 1927 drum kit!
This site is still under construction. All of the articles on the left are online and ready to read. Some of the artist pages on the right have music to listen to but, for the most part, the pages themselves are unfinished. Please bear with us!